Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Proverbs 3:11-12

Prov. 3:11-12 - Sometimes I’m sure that we just wish that the Lord would take a “vacation” from His chastisement. That He would just leave us alone when it comes to correcting us when we do wrong. However, God in His infinite wisdom, mercy and grace never gives to us what we don’t deserve and always what will better us as His servants. His chastening is a reminder of His great love for us!

Prov. 13:24 – I love my children and desire for them to grow up into men and women of strong character, faith and wisdom. I know that this world is full of things that Satan wants to use in order to stop just that from happening. I tell my little ones that the discipline that they receive from us is because we love them so much and want them to be well aware of the consequences of wrong choices and sin. I don’t like doing it, but know that it’s necessary. I do it because I love them-just as this verse from God’s Word tells us! Not disciplining, like the world encourages, produces self-centered, uncontrolled, disrespectful, and wicked adults. I don’t want that for my children! That is God’s reason for instilling chastisement. Now it is always, always, always to be done in a controlled and careful manner! Abuse is not what God encourages! God states clearly in His Word that we are not to provoke our children to wrath, which is what we do when we discipline in anger, with shouting and distorted faces! Always be careful, calm and controlled! THAT kind of discipline is what produces the men and women that God wants in His service!

Prov. 15:3 – I believe that if we carefully discipline as God describes in the Bible that our children will come away from it with a “merry heart which maketh a cheerful countenance.” Doing things God’s way always produces the RIGHT kind of fruit! It seems crazy to think that a child can come away from just being disciplined and be happy about it but I have seen it! When we do it in God’s way our children somehow react cheerfully (because it is what and how GOD wants!!) However, when done in the wrong way and with the wrong spirit our children’s spirit is broken by sorrow and THIS is what can lead to wrath in the heart of our little ones.

Prov. 17:22 – A merry heart will heal any and all wounds that a person has! Just as medicine makes a person feel better and cures ailments a merry heart cures any aliments of the spirit! BUT a broken spirit dries up the heart, makes it heard and unmoving to the Spirit of the Lord and His love.

Prov. 22:15 – A child is naturally driven toward sin. It is not natural to keep away from sin. Therefore God desire for parents is to correct them when necessary so that they are “driven far from it.” Again, all is done calmly, carefully and in a controlled manner but it needs to be done!

Prov. 29:15 – A lot of people would say that the “rod of correction” is what makes the children angry and builds resentment in their little hearts toward their parents. That is why we “shouldn’t use corporal punishment!” The world screams this at every opportunity! “It is wrong! “ they say, “It’s child abuse!!” God says that correction (when done correctly) brings about wisdom in a child! It makes the children see things as God sees through time! It builds them up into what God intends for them to become. But leaving a child to do as he pleases with little or no correction will end in shame! I don’t want that for my family!

Lord help me to ALWAYS correct my children as YOU show is correct in YOUR Word!! Keep me controlled and calm when the situations arise so that my children are brought closer to You through this and not provoked to wrath!!

No comments: