Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Blessings of the Smallest Ones

“Except the Lord build the house they labour in vain that build it…” Psalm 127:1
If you were too look around today you would find that one of the least encouraged areas of our lives would be the area regarding children. In days past having a large family in America was encouraged. Think about it, in the early days of our country children were an asset, a blessing, an important part of a family. The more you had the more help that you were to have on your farm. The more hands you had available to pitch in and hunt, take care of the youngest ones, cook, clean, feed the animals, tend to the garden etc. Years ago working “outside the home” literally meant just that-working OUTSIDE of your home and not in a location other than your home. It’s much different today though.
Children are oftentimes looked at as burdens, money takers, nuisances. I have four children. Not a large family by any means…at least in my opinion…however I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I have heard, “Are all these yours?” I smile and say that they sure are. Without fail the next response is, “You really have your hands full don’t you? “Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them…” Psalm 127:5, I guess I do.
Listen, I’m not trying to be fake here. Sometimes when things have been extra tough I turn my face toward heaven and question why God would give me four children in 8 years. I do, I really do. But the Bible says that unless the Lord is building our house all of our labor is in vain. There are so many options out there today regarding birth control. I’m not judging anyone who does use those methods, that’s not my place, but I am desiring that we all ask ourselves a very important question,  “Who is truly doing our house building?”
Are we giving our trust in this area completely to the God Who created the universe or are we listening more to sinful man? I know that in our day and age it is not always easy having a large family but if that is what the Lord has designed for your family are you fighting that?
“Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.” Psalm 127:3
If I were to have a birthday party and had the option of receiving 1 or 2 gifts or 6 or 7 which do you think that I would choose? Which would you choose? It’s not often that you would find someone who would pick less over more. Yet when it comes to children it seems like the world is telling us to choose as few of these rewards that God has for us as possible.
Sad isn’t it?
If we put 100% of our trust in the Lord we need to be willing to accept whatever amount of children that He has planned for us. Some of us may have quite a few others may not. I know a couple who just had their 8th  child and they are going to continue to trust in God and have however many that He desires. I know another dear couple who have 2 children, lost their 3rd to a miscarriage and have been trying for years to have another one. God has not allowed it yet. I know yet another couple who have not been able to get pregnant at all. You see, all three of these families have put their trust completely in the Lord and He has designed different things for each of them. 
The Bible says, “Except the LORD build the house…” friend we need to put our complete faith in Him. He can see the “bigger picture” if you will, He knows about tomorrow. There may be circumstances in your life that make it seem like having another child such a crazy idea. But look at what Jeremiah 29:11 says “For I know that thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” He plans for nothing but what will benefit our lives for His honor and glory. Yes, sometimes it is scary to trust, hard to trust but trust in Him we must! The only thing that we have to look forward to if we do not put our trust in Him is this, “…they labour in vain that build it.”

**Today's challenge**
  • Take the time to get alone with your Lord today and ask for forgiveness for not trusting Him in this area of your life and then give this part of you over to Him. Ask Him to help you to trust Him completely.
  • Pray with your husband about the Lord’s will for your family regarding children. Make this a daily habit.
  • Hug each of the gifts that God has already given you.
  • Take the time to play with and enjoy them.Rejoice in the fruit of your womb.

No comments: